Tuesday, December 18, 2012

How Do We Heal from Tragedy?



It is with a heavy heart that I write here today to extend my deepest sympathies and Love to all those who have lost loved ones in the Connecticut shooting and to all in the periphery who are hurting.  We’re ALL affected when we learn of innocents being taken down, their lives ended in such tragic ways, and those left behind devastated by the loss.  It feels like life isn’t fair…and often it isn’t.  For many of us, myself included, we want to DO something, CHANGE something so that it won’t happen again.  It is in that ache to heal where we may find Love and we may see “God” in all the arms that reach out to comfort and all those who take action in some form.  But WHAT, exactly, can we do beyond being there to hold each other?

I believe that holding each other in our times of sorrow is the BEST thing we can do.  We can’t make it all go away but we can cling to each other until we can once again stand strong.  Surrendering to the pain doesn’t mean we’re giving up.  We simply have to allow the hurt heal in its own time, the way a cut finger heals.  We can’t cover it up with band-aids by forcing humor and positive affirmations on ourselves, thinking that if we make ourselves laugh and just "think positive" everything will be sunshine and roses.  Band-aids protect us from our hurts, but they don’t heal them. I’ve had two experiences living with another’s mental illness - my mother’s drug induced state and in a brief marriage to someone mentally ill.  I’ve known countless others living with it, working with it, and trying their best to heal it. 

As time goes on I realize how prevalent the state of being, that we call mental illness, is in this country.  I wonder if it is as rampant in other countries?  I wonder if it is such a growing problem because of our ailing environment?  I wonder if it is the greed of huge conglomerates that poison our food, water, and air and further prevent our bodies from receiving the proper nutrition and chemical balance?  I wonder if under-tested medications are making the problem worse?  I wonder what, if anything, is the solution?  I now know that keeping it a secret is NOT the answer.


The light that appears for me at this time is that I now have the courage to share my personal story with you and I invite you to read my preceding blog entry Letting the Wolf Out or Life is Messy, Installment II.  It is my sincere hope that by sharing this story, others will be able to release some of the shame and guilt that goes with the territory.  I hope you will share your stories with me and know that you aren’t alone.  I wish for miracles of healing wherever and for whomever that is possible.

   Blessings, Love, and many warm, comforting hugs, Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment